Copyright Notice

This is to proclaim that all materials posted on this blog are property of and copyrighted by Image of the Mind Studios/Arthur Greisiger .
These materials may not be reproduced or copied without permission. They are posted here for you personal review only.

.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Parade Float

Well, I now have a 1963 Corvair Greenbrier donor truck in place and ready for disassembly.

UPDATE: 4/23/20

Well, as you all know, we are dealing with this national health crisis. Working alone in the studios isn't any different for me than at any other time, but being at home more too, has given me a chance to draw up the plans for the mobile stage. I'll post then here at some point, along with photos as I strip this truck down to the chassis. I'm hoping to be able to power-wash the basic components down, sand blast as necessary, and get it running without needing to do a rebuild. It's pretty rough, but the engine turns over and has clean oil in it. I have a collection of photos showing just how rough it is, but there's no point in showing them right now. I have a plan for cutting the truck up, but I do not anticipate beginning anything until I get the e-Storybook into distribution, or cut a financial deal that will address the studio overhead. I'm already deeply engaged in studio set-up and issues with other work vehicles, so starting on building the stage will have to wait. I may proceed slowly with some of the more minor dis-assembly, such as interior and the primary controls. Since I will be loosing everything down to the floor of the truck, all the wiring harness and other controls that are mounted in the dash. The steering column, shifter, fuel pedal, brake pedal, and ignition, need to be removed and, of course the other reusable components that I won't need. So, that will take place before it gets cut up. Some of the floor panel are already gone and have been replaced with 3/4" Plywood but that's OK. The floor panels that are over the front suspension are rusted enough that I;m just going to remove them and replace them with removable wooden panels. I will be keeping the wheel wells, but by removing the metal floor panels and replacing them with removable panels, the front suspension will be much more easily accessible, making it possible for me to restore and service the front suspension without removing it. The shock towers need to have some rust issues addressed, but, if we are lucky, the suspension is sufficient for use in a parade, without a total rebuild. Eventually I expect to rebuild a second suspension. I had a spare suspension in storage, but it got scrapped on me behind my back. I wasn't happy about that. Oh well, I'll have to get another one.


ARCHIVE

Here is is before delivery to the back lot. I will be stripping the body off of the chassis, some of which is unibody. The suspension, controls and powertrain will be used to power the mobile stage/parade float.

Anyone needing FC body parts contact me. I will try to preserve what I can for body repairs. With that said, I may try to remove the undercarriage without disassembling the body first. I'm not sure what will be most difficult.

More later. AG

Well, after doing some more analysis of the design, I've concluded that yes, my initial thoughts will carry through. The stage platforms will equate to four 4x8 platforms. Not only does that size stage work for the size of the chassis, but it also matches the size of the central stage section of The Meadow Amphitheatre stage. 

When I disassembled the Meadow Amphitheatre, I recovered the Dutchman with the stone finish. So that means the surface of the stage platform might be stone. I'll have to think that through. My thinking is to design the core stage section to be used with or without the power chassis, essentially reproducing the Meadow Amphitheatre to be sectional and portable. Materials have to be considered for weatherability. 
In this situation, the stage will also be serving puppetry.
More later. AG